Friday, June 12, 2015

Pies, Pies, Everywhere Are Pies!

Blackberry pie before it went into
the oven.
Something new is going on at the Vogele Homestead and when I say new, I mean BRAND NEW.

PIES.

I have never ever in my life made a pie.  Let me repeat.  NEVER.

Just like everyone else I know, when I needed a pie, or anything baked that needed to be edible, I called dear ol' Mum and begged her to do it for me.  She is pretty good.  Awesome.  Baking goddess.  Well, you get the idea.

Yummy insides to the peach pie crumble.
Strawberry pie crumble and blueberry/cherry American
flag pie after they came out of the oven.
So when we got the idea to bake pies at the local farmers market one cold Saturday, naturally I was like uhhhh..... Ok, I will try!  So the first place I went was to my mom's to learn how to make pie crust.  Homemade pie crust is so much better than store bought, so I knew if I was going to make pies, they would have to be as fresh and homemade as I could make them!

Next problem was figuring out what kinds to make.  After reading all the rules and regulations on farmers markets in the wonderful state of Kansas, I narrowed my choices down to fruit pies.  We choose to make a Strawberry crumb pie, a cherry pie with a lattice top, an apple pie with a lattice top, and a strawberry and Blueberry mixed pie with a star crust.

Strawberry and strawberry/blueberry pies before the oven.
I posted pictures of the pies on the local buy same trade Facebook page and had lots of comments, likes and shares.  We were excited to have the 4 pies at the farmers market with several loafs of bread (potato, raisin, and honey oat), mini loafs of sweet breads (banana and chocolate chip zucchini) and several dozen eggs from our lovely backyard chickens.

When Josh arrived at the farmers market, people were waiting on PIES!  He couldn't believe it.  People were helping him unload the items so that they would have first choice!
Strawberry/blueberry pie baked to  perfection!
By 9:30 we were completely sold out!   Of everything!

This last week we have been taking orders on pies since so many came and didn't get one.  The response has been awesome.  It allows me to make a little bit extra during the summer and gives me something to do with the kids.

I must say, I am not sure why I have never tried baking pies before.  They are not quite the rabid monster I expected them to be!

Cherry pie.  Looks so yummy!
If you would like for me to bake you a pie, please visit our Facebook page and send me a message with your order.  I can make you just about any type of fruit pie you are wanting as long as I can get the fruit!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment