Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Get out and vote!

Today is the day you get out and vote!  I did.  When explaining to seniors in government class why it was important to vote I brought up several different points when they mentioned their ONE vote did not matter.

Why your ONE vote matters:
People fought long and hard for your right to vote.  Whether it was fighting for our freedom or fighting for equality, someone paid a price for your right to vote.  On the same hand, they paid the same price for you to choose NOT to vote.  Isn't living in the land of the FREE grand?

Think of what elections would look like if we all went out and voted.  Some people complain about the electoral college.  It was created because the average voter was not educated and couldn't be trusted to make a well informed decision.  Sometimes I think that is still the case today.  Who spends the time they should researching the candidates that are ultimately going to be in control of the country we live in?  I know I don't, although I do some.

One vote can change the outcome of ANY election.  Take a look at this website and see exactly what ONE vote could do.  It is quite interesting.

Last, I have a sign hanging by my desk at school as a constant reminder.  Plato said, "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men".  How true it is!

Your ONE vote matters.  Whether you cast your ballot because of the ones that have lost their lives fighting for your freedom, for the women that fought making sure you had equal rights, or for the right no matter what your color of skin is to stand at a voting machine and push buttons, just vote.  Nothing will change until you make your voice heard.

I voted...Did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment